WRITER. EDITOR. ORGANIZER. MOTIVATOR.
Communications professional with 10+ years of experience designing documents, translating policy and technical information for multiple audiences, effectively delivering health information to the general public and members of the health community, and inspiring youth to embrace civic engagement and pro-social behaviors. Background in writing, research, journalism, and teaching on the college level. Has written about everything from COVID-19 to forest fires to social change to seeing-eye horses. Enthusiastic people person.
Writing | Editing | Storytelling | Research| Interviewing | Podcasting | Social Media | Video Editing
Website Content & Management | Newsletter Content | Internal & External Communications
Policy Documents | Reports | Infographics | Public Health | Vulnerable Populations | Management
NORTH CAROLINA COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTER ASSOC., Raleigh, NC | 2016-Present
State association providing training, technical assistance, and support for community health centers/ federally qualified health centers in North Carolina.
Communications and Emergency Preparedness (2016-Present)
Manage internal and external communications for statewide organization representing community health centers. Supported the Primary Care Association (PCA), Group Purchasing Organization (GPO), Carolina Medical Home Network, Health Center Controlled Network, Independent Practice Association (IPA), and Accountable Care Organization (ACO) programs. Develop content on such topics as policy and advocacy, state-specific issues including equity and access issues, COVID-19, clinical services, behavioral health, services for formerly incarcerated individuals, connecting children to health insurance coverage, and outreach and enrollment. Serve as primary media contact. Placed NC CHCs in national media throughout CHC funding crisis in order to persuade Congress to extend CHC funding, then again during COVID-19 pandemic to highlight importance of CHCs in frontline diagnosis and vaccination work. Manage organizational social media, website, and communications projects. Develop graphics using such tools as the Adobe Creative Suite (particularly InDesign and Illustrator).
- Interpret policy for a variety of audiences including providers, patients, adults and youth, and the general public with a focus on driving action.
- Publish bi-weekly newsletter (5,000 subscribers with 36% high engagement), policy documents, reports, and infographics.
- Facilitate and lead workgroups, including advocacy, emergency preparedness, COVID-19.
- Conduct continuous improvement of COVID-19 communications and vaccine management.
- Create and maintain adherence to internal and external communications guidelines; developed and disseminated an organizational style guide.
- Engage CHC supporters through action alert system; generated over 2,000 communications with elected officials.
FLORIDA POLICY INSTITUTE, Lake Mary, Florida | 2015-2016
Center on Budget and Policy Priorities Florida state affiliate, which advocates for better state budgets that do what is best for everyone with special attention to low-income Americans.
Drove all communications for the institute, including reports, websites, media releases, social media, public-facing information resources, and more. Provided plain-language interpretation of complex demographic and financial data. Communicated with media and responded to state budget matters.
- Created a wholly new communications strategy for the organization.
- Established and maintained social media accounts; developed and execute editorial calendar and created both text and graphic content.
- Developed infographics and a user guide to communicate the contents and impact of the Florida state budget for general audiences.
- Coached international policy team on clear, consistent, accessible writing for non-technical audiences.
UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL FLORIDA, Orlando, FL | 2011-2015
Public research university with approximately 71,000 students; part of the State University System of Florida.
Taught writing, rhetoric, and civic engagement to 100 undergraduate students per semester. Inspired undergraduate students to see writing as meaningful participation in civic society. Guided students in goal-setting, leadership development, writing, and research skills.
- Developed new classes/assignments for Department of Writing and Rhetoric, including Writing for Social Change and Rhetoric and Civic Engagement.
- Elected to department leadership and received outstanding teaching evaluations and annual reviews throughout tenure.
- Awarded the first Community Engagement Award from the Department of Writing and Rhetoric, which went on to become an annual recognition.
Early career included working as an Ecologist for the USDA Forest Service in Athens, GA. Created historical annotated bibliography of research about forest fire management in Florida and developed a manual for fire control in Florida’s more and less populated forest fire-prone ecosystems. Additional details on request.
Master of Arts in English
University of Nevada, Reno | Reno, NV
Bachelor of Arts in English (Spanish Minor)
University of Georgia | Athens, GA
SELECTED TRAINING & CERTIFICATION
(full list available on request)
Incident Management Team/ Emergency Operations Center Training (20 hours)
Continuing the Provisions of Healthcare in the Duke Coalition Series—Patient Movement & Hospital Integration
Bleeding Control Basics 1.0
Mental Health First Aid